It’s back to work, back to school and for the first time my son is off to university so I’m trying to organise work spaces for us all. My first challenge is to find some pretty desk chairs. They don’t have to be pretty pretty, I just don’t want them to look like a bland black commercial office chair. Why are they so ugly?
Why have Blah when you can have classic and stylish?
Now I know that you can use any dining chair or arm chair as a desk chair. There are plenty of pretty chairs available. But a proper office chair has some advantages over a normal dining chair.
Features of a Desk Chair
Here’s what to look for in an office chair:
- Adjustable Seat Height – Many office chairs come with a gas lift lever so you can easily adjust the height of the seat up or down to suit your desk. It’s important to be comfortable especially if you are using a keyboard at your desk for long periods of time (like me).
- Adjustable Seat Tilt – Some chairs also allow you to adjust the tilt of the seat and/or the back of the chair. This is a great feature for people who like to lean back in their chair, and even put their feet up on the desk while they are reading or thinking through something.
- Chair Swivel – Where the seat of the chair can swivel 360 degrees. I sit at a work desk that has drawers on either side, so I like to swivel just over 90 degrees to the side so I can get out of the chair.
- Chair on Castors – Castor wheels allow you to push back in your chair, away from the desk so you can get out easily. They also make it easy for you to push the chair back under the desk when you are not using it.
- Chair Armrests – Office chairs can come with or without armrests. Personally I love resting my arms on the arm rest when I’m not using the keyboard. If you choose a chair with armrests, make sure the height of the armrest is less that the height to the underside of your desk so you can push the chair all the way underneath the desk.
- Material – Chairs can be timber, metal, plastic or upholstered in leather, PU or fabric. What you choose comes down to personal preference and practicality.
Currently I have two Delta chairs that I bought from Freedom Furniture about 4 years ago. They are practical and comfortable but they have become a bit worn and grubby. I’d have happily bought another one, but of course it’s no longer available. So here are 9 pretty desk chairs that I have found.
Fabric Desk Chairs – Zoe Office Chair by Brosa | Hayes Tufted Office Chair by Pottery Barn | Espen Office Chair by Brosa
Timber Desk Chairs – Wingate Rattan Swivel Desk Chair from Pottery Barn | 1940’s Bankers Chair by Maison Living | Kimalina Office Chair from Maison Living
White Desk Chairs – Replica Eames Office Chair by Zanui | Drako Office Chair by Freedom Furniture | Baraga Swivel Office Chair by Temple & Webster
What I really like about the fabric chairs from Brosa is they are customisable. You have a choice of 3 leg bases – black, bronze or silver. And you can choose from over 12 fabrics for the chair upholstery. The Zoe chair also has gorgeous nailhead trim across the back.
If you have an existing desk chair that is perfectly good, you just don’t like the upholstery, you can always have it reupholstered in a pretty fabric. My friend Jane has the most colourful and pretty desk chair that she bought from Homegoods. While we can’t get a chair like that in Australia, we can use the idea and inspiration to create our own.
I think I’d love to get my Delta chairs recovered in a blue and white fabric (with nailhead trim of course!) to co-ordinate with the blue and white china on my pedestal table. It would add some fun and colour to the room. What do you think? What sort of desk chair do you use?