I’m going to let you in on a little secret. In fact over the coming weeks I’m going to let you know my 3 top styling secrets for home decor. An easy to follow decorating recipe you can use when styling your home and creating a pleasing vignette. The first secret is….
Image: I Suwannee
I call it 2+ books and a plonk, but I really need to come up with a better name than that. (My new name is books plus a topper) Quite simply this styling trick is just to create a stack of books and plonk something on top of it.
Image – The Glitter Guide
- start with the biggest book on the bottom and gradually reduce the size of each book.
- only use 2-5 books
- Choose book spines in colours that work together and work with the colours in the room.
Image – Stylizmo
Image – Stephanie Sterjovski
- The object on the books should be narrower that the smallest book
- Organic shaped objects add interest and contrast against the horizontal flat surface of the books.
- Objects can be – vase or jar of flowers, candles, figurines, coral or shells, spheres, boxes, ginger jar, cloche
Image – Tiffany Eastman Interiors
Image – The Every Girl
Image – Lynn Morgan Design
It’s such a simple decorating tip but you will see it used over and over again, especially in magazine and blog photos. You can use this styling trick on coffee tables, consoles, side tables, and even your bedside.
Image – DIY Decorator – Entrance Room Tour
Image – DIY Decorator Room Tour – A Pretty Sitting Room
If you’ve created a books and a plonk vignette, tag us so we can see it and we’ll feature some of them.
You can now read Home Decor Styling Secret Number 2
and Home Decor Styling Secret Number 3
Join DIY Decorator
Get our access to our FREE Decorating Resource Library and Weekly Newsletter