Decorating with lanterns is a great way to add atmosphere to your outdoor or alfresco area. They look pretty during the day, but really come to life at night where they create soft ambient mood lighting. We’ve found a great selection of lanterns on the market at the moment, and give you some lantern decorating ideas.
1. Colombo lanterns in 3 sizes from Satara
2. Antique wooden lantern from Provincial Home Living
3. Wooden lantern from Provincial Home Living
4. Small silver lantern from Bed Bath n’ Table
5. Hyanis glass jar with rope handle lanterns from Pottery Barn Australia
6. La Messa Lighthouse lanterns from Pottery Barn Australia
7. Filigree Moroccan lanterns from Bed Bath n’ Table
8. Portsmouth wooden lantern from Pottery Barn Australia
9. Southport lantern from Alfresco Emporium
10. Lantern inspiration
11. Borrby white lantern from IKEA
Lantern Decorating Ideas
12. Coastal style lantern created by Between Naps On the Porch
13. Fairy light filled lantern from Terrain
14. Simple candle arrangement from Perfect Home Blog
15. Use different height candles from Interior Design Files
Some items that you can use to fill/decorate a lantern:
- Candles – use a single candle or cluster of candles in various heights. For safety, you may use battery operated LED candles.
- Vertical plants – cone shaped or topiary to fill the lantern
- Moss, twine, pebbles or raffia to go around the edge of a battery-operated candle.
- Shells, sand, coral and starfish for a coastal style lantern.
- Battery operated fairy lights
- Christmas – fake snow, baubles or tinsel
If you decorate a lantern this summer, please share it with us on Facebook or instagram #diydecorator @diydecorator
Join DIY Decorator
Get our access to our FREE Decorating Resource Library and Weekly Newsletter